Home > News > Industry News > The Look-up Speed Experiment

News

The Look-up Speed Experiment

  • Author:Lydia
  • Source:original
  • Release on :2014-09-23

The objective of the experiment was purely look-up speed; i.e. how quickly students could find the definition(s) of an unknown word. We took no account of the quality or number of definitions, nor even students' ability to read and comprehend them.

We divided a first year English conversation class into two groups. We gave a paper bilingual dictionary to each student in the PD group and an electronic dictionary to each student in the ED group.

Three lists of ten words were prepared with each list containing words with the same initial letters and the same number of letters per word.